Medellin is a city of unending things to do and amazing experiences to discover. We’ve picked out top 10 to make it easier for you to choose!
- Graffitour: This is the name given to the amazing tour of the Comuna 13, based on its graffittis, its public escalators and its sordid story of overcoming violence and rebuilding a whole neighborhood around the arts, social inclusion and a hope for the future. You just can’t miss it.
- El Peñol: Legend has it that this massive rock was once a meteorite that fell from the sky thousands of years ago. Today you can climb it and take in the breathtaking view of the Guatapé dam from the top.
- Watch the Sunset on the rooftop of Los Patios: Medellin is a beautiful paradise city set in between majestic mountains, so of course you have to watch the sun setting behind those magical hills, setting the whole valley ablaze with light… and there’s no place better that the rooftop bar of Los Patios Hostal Boutique. The relaxed atmosphere, friendly people and wonderful view will set the stage for watching the perfect sunset.
- Day bike tour: Medellin is a rapidly growing city where modernity meets tradition and inexplicably, they live side by side in perfect harmony. If you want to get a feel of the incredible magical realism that is Medellin and its neighborhoods, its art, and its delicious cuisine, we highly recommend you take a bike tour. They vary in length and will take you through the picturesque and most traditional parts of town. Don’t worry about the hills, you can choose a tour that won’t leave your legs shaking, but will definitely steal your heart.
- Parque Arvi: A natural reserve few miles outside of the city is waiting for you. The perfect place to go hiking, breath in some fresh air, have a picnic, or try out your skills on one the survival courses, the fun just never ends. The best thing is it’s 100% eco-friendly and connected to the public transportation system through the metro and metrocable.
- Plaza Botero and Museo de Antioquia: If you’re a lover of art you just can’t miss visiting the “Gordas de Botero” the giant sculptures by Fernando Botero that have attracted people from all over the world thanks to their exaggerated proportions. To see more of his incredible work, take a peek inside the museum, where there’s a whole wing dedicated to this world famous artist. You’ll also find other traditional artists from Medellin who have helped shape the region and the way people see their culture.
- Eat a Bandeja Paisa: For all the foodies out there, Medellin has a lot to offer! Starting with its signature plate, the Bandeja Paisa. We recommend you eat a light breakfast if you’re planning on tucking into one of these for lunch, because they are absolutely packed with delicious flavors from the region. Beans, rice, ground beef, fried egg, avocado, chicharrón, plantain, chorizo, black pudding and of course, arepa are all included in this traditional dish that you may want to share with someone. If you’re feeling extra brave you’ll order mazamorra with bocadillo for dessert, but don’t expect to eat anything else until the next day!
- Parque Explora: This interactive science center has the biggest salt water aquarium in South America, so you’ll definitely want to swing by and see all the amazing species that live here. They also have constant science exhibits that will definitely blow your mind and teach you a thing or two you didn’t know about the universe.
- Paragliding: Who doesn’t want to jump off a Cliff and see the city whilst hanging from a parachute? It’s one of the most sublime experiences in the world. A few miles outside of Medellin, in the town of San Felix you can jump with an instructor and take the ride of a lifetime, while seeing the whole of the Aburrá Valley from above.
- Colombian Coffee tour: If you’re in Colombia and you haven’t yet done a coffee tour, have you really been to Colombia? This country’s world famous coffee is grown in coffee farms right here in the Antioquia region, so get some coffee lovers together and embark on a journey to discover how the best coffee in the world is made, learn about the process from the seed to the cup and enjoy some delicious tastings along the way.
Los Patios Hostel.
Disclaimer: Some of the pictures do not belong to us. They were taken from an online photo bank. Credit belongs to the owners.